Unique fruits and vegetables from Colombia
Call yourself an experienced South American traveler? Here is a short quiz for you. Read the description, then try to guess the name of the fruit or vegetable being described. You can check your answers later in the article.
Can you guess the names of these strange dishes?
1. I’m long and yellow, but I’m not a banana. You can cook or bake me when I’m green or later when I’m sweet and yellow. Can you guess who I am? That’s right! __________ Enjoy me baked cake with cheese.
2. What’s red inside and out and the spikes on the outside? Even my juice is red. My juice is used for food coloring, body painting and makeup. Do you know who I am? Can you say __________?
3. Hey, I bet you’ve eaten me many times before. I’m really tough and brown on the outside and have water in me. I have white meat and you can also make “milk” from me. What am i Easy! Of course I am __________. In Quito, Ecuador, you can often find vendors selling my milk by the glass. Sometimes I have a rare seed that grows in my hard shell and causes it to sprout.
4. I grow on vines in bunches, but I am not a grape because I am orange with the tiny seeds inside of me. My leaves grow around me and you must take them off before you eat me. What’s My Name? Come on, guess … We’re __________!
5. If you like green peppers, you’ll like me too. You can stuff me and bake me and I’m delicious. Do you know my name My name is __________ I am often stuffed and baked with meat, rice, vegetables and spices – yum!
6. My orange shell is thick but easy to open. Inside, I have a “jelly” consistency with many small, crunchy black seeds. Do you know who I am? And __________, here’s what
7. It’s harder to guess. What is a tuber like a carrot, but smaller, slightly curved and purple on the outside. No, I’m not cute either, but you’ll like me cooked with milk and cheese. Did you guess __________? Magnificent!
8. My name is in English “Dragon fruit“but I’m better known by a different name. My thick creamy texture inside is filled with tiny, extremely hard black seeds. Don’t eat me too much at once though, or I’ll give you” loose guts “! I’m small or big, I’m a delicious exotic yellow the fruit. I am __________
9. My name means “happy apple” and I have a smooth and creamy interior with smooth, hard black seeds. I come in segments that make it easy for me to eat. Even though I am a weird looking punk rock style fruit, you will just love my sweetness. What is my name? I am _________. Enjoy my sweet, creamy smoothness.
10. Imagine a giant green bean and you will have a precise idea of what I look like on the outside. Inside, I have segments each of which has a large black seed. My flesh looks like cotton and has a sweet taste. What am i Do you know? I am __________
11. I’ll just bet you put it under my branches on the beach at one time or another. This swaying tree has me as its fruit. We grow up to 500 in bunches. In order to eat us, you need to cook for several hours and then peel. We taste great with a little salt or dipped in honey. We are very rich in cholesterol, so you shouldn’t eat too many of us or take us too often. Do you know who we are? That’s right, we are __________
12. You’ve probably never seen another fruit like me. I am white, smooth and creamy on the inside and have a spiky green skin on the outside. My thick meat is also very sweet. A great way to eat me is to mix it with milk to make a wonderful, tasty smoothie. I am often so big and heavy that you can’t use all of me at once. What am i I am __________
How did you guess the names of these exotic fruits and vegetables?
Now check your answers
1. That’s right! “Banana“
2. Can you say “Achiote“?
3. Easy! “Coconut“, of course
4. Come on, guess … We are “Weather in Uchuvas“!
5. My name is “Archucha“
6. A “Granadilla“, this is it
7. Have you guessed “Ullucos“Magnificent!”
8. I am “Pitaya“
9. I am “chirimoya“
10. I am “Guam“
11. That’s right, we are “Chontaduros “.
12. I am “guanabana“
Travel in Colombia and Ecuador
Among the joys and benefits of traveling abroad is the opportunity to taste exotic fruits, vegetables and other local dishes. When traveling in Colombia or Ecuador, you can try these unique taste sensations for yourself. Enjoy your meal!